Everyone in my life knows how excited I get for Firefly Music Festival every year. It’s easily the best weekend of the year for me and I love every single second I’m there. Unfortunately camping with thousands of others and spending all day walking and dancing makes it difficult to stay hygienic, let alone all dolled up. I have some tips I learned from my first year that I want to share with you guys!
- Chafing. It’s a huge problem for everyone at a festival. Going from set to set means a lot of walking, and you don’t want to spend the entire weekend in pain. I have found that using a regular stick deodorant with Lush’s dusting powder, Silky Underwear, helps a lot. The powder provides the first barrier and eventually melts throughout the day. Once that barrier is gone you still have the second barrier of the stick deodorant which does the job for the rest of the day!
- Another huge problem is showering. Sometimes you are charged money to shower at the camp ground. You also have the option to bring shower bags and/or a shower tent. While those definitely work you may not have the money to spend on this. Baby wipes and water bottles are a huge help when it comes to this. The baby wipes remove sweat and dirt and the water bottle can help rinse your hair. This lets you be clean on a budget.
- Sweating is unavoidable with long days in the sun. It’s going to happen, but I have found the best way to minimize it is with translucent powder. I put a lot on my face last year and it helped me out so much! Although I made the mistake of using a silicone based powder. DO NOT USE A SILICONE BASED POWDER! You will look like a patchy ghost.
Instead I recommend RCMA No Color Powder ($12) or N.Y.C. Translucent Powder $3. I would apply it with a large fluffy brush all over the face until you feel like your skin is soft, smooth, and most importantly dry.
- As for make up, I suggest sticking to what you’re comfortable with. I would do a “no make-up” make-up look every day. I would apply liquid eyeliner, black mascara, and fill in my brows. I knew I didn’t have enough room to pack all of my make up and it would end up being a hot mess by the end of the day.
- Another good reason not to go crazy with make up is that you will be needing to reapply sunscreen all day long! Sun burn is not fun and makes you dehydrated and tired. That could make you miss your favorite set! Which you obviously do not want. Make sure to apply your favorite sunscreen and keep up with reapplying throughout the day.
- I do recommend bringing something just in case you do get sunburned. I like to spray Mario Badescu’s Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater Spray ($8) all over my face and skin when I am sunburned, or even just too warm. The aloe is soothing on my skin and this small bottle lasts a long time.
- Lastly, drink water like it’s your job. It has so many benefits, but in relation to beauty your skin will glow, stay moisturized, and help repair your cells from any sun damage.